Monday, September 13, 2010

The Vain and the Vulgar.

Hannah; A rough water colour illustration of one of my ugly beautiful girls.

Winifred  

Celia

Isn't it utterly delicious when you get to create something foul, ugly or just a little off? There is something so satisfying about perfecting a foul creature or ruining the promise of a 'pretty' piece. Don't get me wrong, I like many others delight in creating beautiful things but love the other end of the spectrum, too. It's almost like you are breaking free and rebelling against the rules. The lovely ladies above are a product of my frustration whilst trying to create pretty images. The ugly in me has come out. And I like it.

6 comments:

Stela ALVES said...

I loved your work!!
www.streetstylebystela.blogspot.com

James Blackwell said...

Winifred is a winner for me!! excellent.

Antonia Glavic said...

Thanks James! Yes Winifred is a personal favourite of mine.

harbourmaster said...

Oh, these are so good. I agree, Winifred is my favourite too, although I also really like Celia (and her face-pulling cat!). It really works how these are in such a delicate style so from across the room one could imagine they were sweet, perfect girls, but up close they're a bit grisley, you've proved ugly is just as interesting as beautiful!

Antonia Glavic said...

Yes! That's a great point, kind of like Monet but less genius and more ugly!

Maria said...

hahaha nice one! :D